Triplo "Maneuver Kill"

Papos e avisos genéricos para a comunidade simuleira.
21_Sokol1
Veterano
Veterano

Triplo "Maneuver Kill"

Post by 21_Sokol1 »

HEADQUARTERS
404TH Fighter Group
APO 595
US Army
28 August 1944
A. Type of action : Combat
B. Date : 27 August 1944
C. Unit : 404th Fighter Group, 506th Fighter Squadron (??)
D. Time of Attack : 14:30
E. Place : Coulommiers
F. Weather : 7/10 at 8000 hazy
G. Type of target : E/A (enemy aircraft) FW 190s
H. Claim : 3 FW 190s destroyed

____________________________________________________________________________________

1. At approximately 1450 just east of Coulommiers, I was flying on a course of 270 degrees heading home, altitude 50 feet, when I noticed 4 FW190s starting an attack on me from my right beam. I did not notice them due to the haze until they were within about 2000 yards. I turned right into their first attack. They split up into pairs, the second pair passing over me then attacking from my left forcing me to reverse my initial turn back to the left. They kept up these attacks from alternate sides for approximately 5 passes, firing on each pass. By this time my speed was well down due the tight turns, and they were forced into a lufberry with my aircraft leading. As this all occurred at tree top height, I used the trees as cover as much as possible during the turns. On about the 2nd circle I passed between two rows of trees, just making the entrance; the No 1. man behind me didn't make it, crashing into the trees. I then started to reduce speed down to approximately 120 m.p.h. using 1/3rd flaps and tightened my turn a bit more. After about 10 more circles, I was beginning to get onto the last man's tail. Just as I was getting deflection on him the E/A in front of him did a half snap roll, stalling out of his turn and hit the ground. Immediately afterwards the E/A in front of me also snapped onto his back and crashed, probably due to the incident in front of him or his hitting prop wash. Some time during this incident I lost track of the 4th E/A. I weaved all over looking for him but with no success. I continued on at tree top height using lots of power, heading for home as numerous other enemy aircraft were still in the area and my gas was a bit low by then. I noticed that after I used flaps and reduced speed below 130-140 mph the E/A started having trouble in their turns, enabling em to out turn them.

I claim 3 FW 190s destroyed.

Carroll W. McColpin
Colonel, Air Corps.

(Pilots who saw him on the way to his debrief had no doubt about his achievement, the Colonel's flying gear was absolutely soaked through with sweat following the challenging flying experience he had been through and he looked absolutely exhausted.)
Sokol1